I'm BAAACK: Part 2 - Spring Break 2012 to Pohnpei

This is Part 2 (though it might be out of order) of my multi-part catch-up series.   


Spring Break 2012 - Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia

I went to Pohnpei (PAWN-a-pay) with a group of friends for a 5-day, 4-night trip.  We took the one plane west, touched down in Kosrae (KOH-suh-rye) for about 45 minutes, and then continued on with our flight.  United, west-bound, hits a lot of islands in the Marshalls and FSM.   Pohnpei and Kosrae are popular destinations since they are so close. 

We stayed for two nights at The Village, a fantastic, honeymoon-esque style hotel with thatched huts and excellent food.  There were mosquito nets around the beds, and a sheet suspended above to catch all the lizard droppings.  Yes, there were lizards everywhere.  Sadly, due to land ownership disputes, The Village has shut its doors as of March 2013.  Other hotels in the area are popping up, but The Village was truly the best.  I'm so fortunate to have stayed there!
 
Above is a shot of the ruins around Pohnpei.  Nan-Madal, I think they're called, but I'm trying to recall this from a year ago, so I'm sure my spelling is off.  These are...maybe 2,000 years old?  Again, might be making this up.  It's been a while.  Shame on me for not posting in a timely manner!
 
To the right, I'm contemplating certain death.  I think the fall was maybe 20 feet.  Or 50.  Felt like 100.  After about 10 minutes of deliberating, I took the plunge.  Turns out, getting OUT was the scary/hard part.  A rickety rope-and-bamboo ladder hung from a precarious perch on the rocks.  Every time I stepped on a rung I'd smash my toes against the rocks.  So, obviously, I only jumped once. 

Besides jumping from great heights and navigating ruins, people dive, drive around, check out some local bars, and go on hikes.  It's different, and a great change of scenery, to have mountainous views to enjoy.  It was an awesome trip.
0 Responses

Post a Comment