Water, Water, Everywhere

So far I have visited Kwaj's various beaches about 5 times. As much as I'd love to go every day, sometimes that just doesn't work out. I've determined that Corals Sands Beach is my favorite when I do have a chance to go, mostly because I'm usually the only one on it. Camp Hamilton Beach is nice enough, except the fine sand turns rocky right at the water's edge. Also, it's downwind of the power plant. Nothing says "relaxing" quite like the smell of exhaust fumes. Emon Beach is the most popular beach by far. There's a lifeguard (I think), sand volleyball, and a playground. It's also right across from the high school, which is yet another reason I'll stick to Coral Sands.

Watersports are big here, as you probably could have guessed. Most notably: SCUBA diving. I even bought some gear! This is pretty big time for me. I've never owned my own gear (not much reason to in Kansas), but after hearing numerous horror stories about rented equipment malfunctions, I felt the purchase necessary. All I have left to get is a regulator and a snorkel and I'm good to go! There are a plethora of dive masters out here, and at least two work at the school. So I'll have no trouble getting in my 5 required dives for my advanced diver's license. Can't wait! I'll probably get an underwater camera soon(ish), but until then, you can find the link to the Kwajalein SCUBA Club on the "Honolulu" sign post. There are tons of underwater pictures to view from there!
2 Responses
  1. flyingmonkey Says:

    Scuba is one of my dreams, being a larger size girl means more bouyancy (sp?), but the glasses thing holds me back. It sounds as if you are settling in and getting your bearings. Have you started to work yet? Stacey Louise


  2. Heidi B. Says:

    So cool! Dive on, friend. :) On the subject of underwater cameras, we have an Olympus Stylus. It works great, and we took a TON of underwater snorkel photos in Hawaii that one time long ago. -Heidi


Post a Comment